Wednesday, June 22, 2011


Summer is here, in fact it's just a day old but it has certainly felt like summer for some time here in Texas! I have not been updated this blog for awhile-mostly because we were busy with outside activities, finishing up the 2010-2011 school year, and taking a short family trip. For the past couple weeks I have been feeling the angst rise about 2011-2012 school year. I suppose that I will have to deal with this every summer-trying to reconcile what my goals are, what I did not get to the previous year, and what changes will have to be made for the next one.

I was considering going down the virtual public school option because I felt like maybe it would help me be more accountable, cover more subject, and well...it's free. Here are the reasons I am not going to go that path next year: I feel like it is too much screen time for the boys, I do not want them focused on standardized testing, I pulled them out of ps because I wanted a different educational experience for them, not just different surroundings.

So, I went ahead and purchased and am re-reading The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I love it! I have high hopes about implementing the classical style into our education adventure, although we will probably be making modifications as we go. I am hopeful that this will lead the kids down a path of being confident, effective learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment